My story

My story

Here is my story

Story board.

I was born in a family of clowns.

As I grew up my father was always teaching new people how to make balloon animals, how to do face paintings, how to juggle. And so I always saw teaching as a fun thing to do because my dad did it.

When my older brother started going to school before me I felt left out so He taught me what he was learning and let me do his math homework.

In second grade I already knew all the second grade math so my teacher gave me work out of a third grade math workbook. It was easy for her to give me work and a quick five-minute lesson and I would pick it up very quickly.

I was never an outstanding student, my teachers commented on how smart I was but that I didn’t like to do my homework. In fifth grade my teacher kept me after school many days for not having my homework done.

In seventh grade I got horrible grades in math because of homework but because I was Aceing all the tests my teacher still recommended me for honors algebra the next year

In honors algebra I was a model student and my teacher even let me teach a few lessons in front of the class. I don’t remember the concepts I taught but I really enjoyed being in front of the class and showing my skills.

Throughout high school math was always my favorite subject and I helped my friends study whenever we had tests or when they needed to review. I always felt good when I was helping my friends.

Then I also tutored my English teachers children in math once a week for a year to help them understand what was going on.

These were my first few experiences teaching people math and I loved it. I had also started to teach my friends to juggle and make balloon animals. These skills are much easier to teach because you can see the results right away and it is pretty easy for students to learn.

Even though I love these experiences of teaching when I got to college I started on a path to become a doctor. I had this noble Idea that if I was a doctor I could help my mom with all her medical problems.

However when I took my first college level chemistry class, my bad habits as a student came out and I realized that I didn’t want to do all the work involved in becoming a doctor. (And I was really bad at chemistry labs)

So I decided that I wanted to develop my skills as a teacher and help students get through school like my teachers helped me to get through school. That’s when I came to UCSD and found they had the math/secondary education degree. As I worked through the program and started tutoring and teaching I reinforced my belief that I am supposed to be a teacher.

I found it will be really hard to help out the student the way I want and teach all of the students at the same time because not all the students like math like I did. But it is something that I can finally allow myself to work as hard as possible at. When it comes to the welfare of my students I wont let that slip away.

2 thoughts on “My story

1. Jeremy,

It’s really valuable that you can recognize that some students might really like the subject but not be interested in doing any homework. It was interesting to read about your path to becoming a teacher and I really get the sense that you’re sincere about wanting to help people learn, not just about math, but any topic. 🙂

2. I really like your story. It is personal, intimate, and has a great message. Two things – the “family of clowns” metaphor has a great deal of power and interest. Also the idea that you yourself were a struggling student now in the role of the teacher is great.