The student who moved away.

Throughout this year I have learned a ton about myself and my teaching. One of the events that really effected me was when one student moved away. This student, who I will just call Steve for now, was very annoying to me. Most of the time he did not do his homework, he had trouble paying attention in class and was very talkative. The thing that struck me was that when I could motivate him he was a great worker. When he saw himself succeeding he worked hard and he had the biggest smile on his face. He was a completely different student when he was working and succeeding. Then after he started to be this great student whose smile made me smile he went back to his old attitude. I asked him what was going on and he told me he was moving away in 3 weeks to the Philippines and it didn’t matter what he did in school. He was unmotivated again and it showed and for the last three weeks of school the cheerful student that I knew was there did not make an appearance. It really showed me how motivation affects students. Throughout the rest of the year I tried to get my students motivated and I will continue to work on motivating students because it makes a huge difference.

3 thoughts on “The student who moved away.

1. It is so tough when you find out a student is going to be moving away and that’s why they have not been their same old joyful selves. I actually had a student who moved away and tried hard until her last day. She even tried on her last day, except for on the skill test which she asked if it was okay that she did not do it. I told her it was fine, because of her awesome effort. It was sad to see her go though. Keep up that motivation!

2. It’s amazing how much pride students can have in themselves when they actually try. Our job as teachers is to get students out of their comfort zones and help them realize their potential.

3. Teaching is such a tug at your emotions isn’t it? For the students and the teacher. It is hard to witness something like that and feel so helpless, but I think you did a great job of noticing his behaviors and patterns and trying to do what you could in the time you were there. Every year we get new students. They are new to us, but they have their own histories that form their attitudes, beliefs, motivations, classroom behaviors, etc. Hopefully this student will have good teachers where he moves to keep that cheerful attitude coming back.